“Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do something about it now” Alan Lakein
I’m not usually someone who enters competitions – but this one intrigued me – and fitted perfectly with something I needed to do anyway – some planning!
I’m a big fan of the artbizblog website – it’s full of useful ideas and challenges to improve your business brain. I was struck by a sentence which said:
Stop over-planning and start taking action. Over-planning is killing your art business.
The challenge was set – write a business plan – in 200 words or less.
As I wrote an original BIG business plan that covered just about any eventuality (earthquakes anyone?!) when we first started A3 Art, I liked the idea of condensing down and sharpening up.
So I entered my plan – more as an exercise in getting something done that needed doing anyway – so imagine my surprise to find that my plan had won!
My plan was simple in its focus – to make sure that we have everything set up and ready for our next exhibition … yes … that’s right – we’re doing it again in September! So not only are you finding out the dates of our next exhibition already … you can now find out some of the things I need to do to make sure it happens!
So here’s the plan:
Planning for our second exhibition 20th – 26th Sept
- 24 original acrylic paintings – have 12 currently. Need to paint another 12 = 1 per week!
- 24 A3 mounted prints and 24 A4 mounted prints.
- Purchase mounts online by end of July.
- Local and expat market; tourists on holiday; and local businesses.
- Create press pack.
- Provide high quality images for promotion materials and ensure expat newspapers and FB contacts advertise for us.
- Send press pack out on 7th Sept to ensure coverage is one week before event.
- Maintain email list of contacts and keep updated – send a monthly newsletter.
- Update website with press pack and information from 15th August.
- Pricing – maintain pricing as for first exhibition
A3 mounted £25, A4 mounted £15
Acrylic paintings £75 – £95
- Profit margins have been calculated, along with all costs and expenses. Excel spreadsheet up and running!
- Completing enough paintings on time alongside other commissioned work – overcome by setting a target of one painting per week and create a list of possible ideas on Evernote and tick off each one completed!
- Measure against success of first exhibition – aim for 25% increase in sales and 50% increase in commissions.
You can find out more about my winning plan - and the other entries – via this link Winner of the 200 word Artist Plan Contest
This week also sees the launch of our new ‘News from the A3 Art Studio’ newsletter. We will be creating a monthly newsletter to send to our friends – full of information, news, and links.
Would you like to be added to our mailing list? If so – just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Subscribe’ in the title – or leave a message in the comments below – and we’ll add you to the list!